Friday 1 April 2011

Weapon of Choice – Final submission

Unlike previous projects, I decided this time to stay on top of time so I didn’t have to rush things before the deadline, so the day that our gladiator project was due, that night I got started on my weapon.

I first tried to model a L85A1 rifle but due to the limited tri count of 700 tris, I thought I should do something a little easier like a handgun, so I chose a M1911 Colt instead. That night I pretty much finished the basic model and here’s what it looked like. I was pretty pleased with this, particually with the geometry around the barrel of the gun. All of this was modelled in the side view port and I had to pretty much guess the width of the pistol.

In hindsight I should have really made something a little more complicated/interesting. Looking at other course mates work, I liked the idea of taking an existing weapon than conceptualising it changing geometry and adding crazy shit, but hey ho nevemind.

After modelling the weapon, its time to UV unwrap! Yaay. Well actually seeing as I can do this now it wasn’t so much of an issue. Barely took any time at all. This is my finished texture sheet and imho I think it the best one so far. Not in the way of layers, textures and colours but maximising efficiency on the texture sheet.

I did struggle to find suitable textures for the gun, hunting around for black metal proved difficult so in the end I played around on photoshop until I came up with something which vaguely resembled the real thing (im still not great at texturing, particually on my gladiator model which I will upload at some point, I just hate it so much! Visible seems everywhere) but heres the final product anyway

Finished this project with plenty of time to spare, so for the rest of the lesson I got to play COD, good timesss!

2 comments:

  1. yeh, I've shot one of those... nice gun, smooth action and not too much recoil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice one, shooting at anyone in particular? :P

    ReplyDelete