Friday 1 April 2011

Transit Van project - final submission

Well finally finished my transit connect project, the task – to realistically model and texture a For Transit Connect, whilst keeping within a Tri and texture budget.

Specifications:
Tri count – 5000
1 1024x1024 Diffuse map for exterior
1 512x512 diffuse for interior
1 128x128 texture sheet for lights
I used 4298 Tris, and 1 of every texture sheet allowed.

This is a final render of my van, looks alright eh? Well I like it, I’d employ me!

I felt this project helped me a lot as im gradually becoming more and more familiar with 3dsmax. Particually in this project I’ve felt my unwrapping and texturing skills have improved. With help from Mike (deserves a medal because of his approachability and the amount he’s helped me and others on this course) he showed me an easy way to unwrap assets using the planar unwrap. Rather than my first attempt at using flatten mapping and trying to sort out all of the millions of tiny little planes.

These are my final texture sheets for the exterior and interior. Trying to find suitable Transit connects parked in the open, not in dark places and not driving around proved surprsisingly difficult. Eventually I did find one that I could take pictures of, although I was being glared at by the builder who I assumed owned it.

OH and I also took photos of the DMU transits until I got harassed by security and was told ‘I cant do that’ jokes on them though as the number plate on mine is from one of their vans haha.

Not gonna lie, I did run short of time in this project (work handed in 5 minutes before the deadline) also I had to allow time at the end to write a design brief. This resulted in me not being able to add any specular maps to the Transit therefore all the different parts on the van (wheels, metal, sponge) were the same material and all as shiny as each other. But overall, I think this project went ok J

No comments:

Post a Comment