Sunday 24 April 2011

Game Review

After a long hard think about what game I should review, It dawned on me, as a game art design student, I play nowhere near as many games as I used too. Back home before university I swear I was playing at least 2 hours a day of whatever I fancied.

So what game to review…? I think it’s gonna have to be between something I used to play regularly/the last game I played.

So a review of… Limbo yaaay

This the premier title from independent games developer Playdead studios. Limbo is a sidescroller platform puzzle game which uses a physics engine to challenge the player.

The game opens with the unnamed character waking up in a cruel and sadistic world where everything and everyone wants to kill him. The aim of the game is basically to go right, when a puzzle emerges, solve it, and 'keep on a running.’

The game is paced very well, getting progressively harder as you venture through its world. Its also extremely addictive. With no loading screens just one continuous level, I found myself extremely immersed in this world not noticing the hours go by playing the game.

Get used to dying a lot, the developers described journey through the game as trail or death! How pleasant. Some of the deaths are absolutely gruesome, ever seen a small child decapitated by saws at least 5 times larger than him.

Its weird as even after knowing Ive failed a puzzle, I always found myself trying to keep that little boy alive as long as I could before his inevitable disturbing death.

I particularly hated seeing him get electrocuted, grim stuff.

The games sound track is basically made up from noises made from ingame objects. They succeed to add to the general disturbing atmosphere of the game. Particularly in the later levels set in the factory. These sound effects are also key in solving certain puzzles as you can use them to your advantage where timing is needed.

Considering the game is completely monochrome it still manages to look aesthetically pleasing. Just goes to show that you don’t need thousands of polys and texture maps to make a game look beautiful. The silhouette of the foreground cast in front of a descending eerie landscape makes even just walking through the level is an experience worth while.

The only criticism I found is the water physics. For instance when the water level rises around set terrain it doesn’t always behave realistically. But really I’m just nip picking here, I’m sorry.

The game is full of black-humour. Moments when you’ve thought you were safe after avoiding a fallen man trap to be finding yourself running into another. As the game progresses some of the puzzles are just incredible – switches and levers which control objects, gravity and even the weather always leave you contemplating what challenges you will face next. And the game never fails to disappoint.

Except however for the rather abrupt ending, literally just didn’t see it coming. But I still remember the first time I played through to Limbo’s epic final moment, sending chills down my spine and standing my hairs on end, has to be one of my favourite game endings ever. Although there definitely could have been more or a build up to its climax. Definitely hoping for a sequel as the ending suggests, hopefully ICO style with the girl (apparently your sister) as your accomplice.

Limbo offers something original, atmospheric and totally enthralling. Although its campaign is somewhat short you will love every minute that this game has to offer. The verdict - if you have an xbox 360… BUY THIS GAME! If you don't, get one!


an interesting article also about the game, worth a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment