Sunday 9 October 2011

Back to School

It’s the start to a new year back on Game Art Design, which means a fresh start to the course where this year, I AM going to change my ways, complete all the work on schedule and not let it all build up putting me under extreme pressure and stress.

So far so good, judging from the first week anyway.. Actually went to all the lectures, which imho is quite an achievement in itself. After the trip to Abbey Park I managed to get the majority of the prep sketches done so I could swiftly focus on other areas. Chris wanted us to start using colour in our work so I took a trip to Dominos toy shop and invested in the cheapest pack of acrylic paints I could find ( poor student )

These are 3 attempted paints. Honestly… they’re not great. I just can’t paint for shit ( despite having an A level in Art ) I guess the theory is the more I do it the better I’ll get. So I’m not going to give up and just persevere through until I reach a marvellous breakthrough. The same kinda thing happened which 3dsmax. I noticed however my painting skills improved which each attempt.

TREASURE CHEST!!!

Is the name of the next 3dsmax task. Out of the 3 tasks ( Chest, Trash and our face ) the chest is the one I’m least excited about doing. Not completely sure why this is, maybe just because we’re all making the same thing and there’s not that much room for variety ?

Yeah I think that might be it.

Heather wanted us to personalize them, but at the moment im not completely sure how im going to go about this. So far I’ve made most of the chest and I just have to add the final details. Ive got plenty of tris left to do this so there won’t be any issues there. The only thing holding me back appears to be my imagination.

I struggled at the start making the chest, working from a single perspective reference was quite a challenge. My main issue was that I couldn’t figure out how the legs were meant to fit around the body of the chest. It was all mighty confusing, but after playing with the geometry for a while I finally figured it out. Yay.

I aim to completely finish the modelling by the end of the second weeks game production session, fully unwarp and maybe even start a bit of cheeky texturing as well. Ambitious.

I’m a little bit worried about texturing as it all has to be hand painted, and my digital painting skills aren’t really that great. My tablet has appeared to have fucked up overnight and isn’t recognizing the pen pressure which is a bit of a bummer. Will have to get this sorted out or most likely use the tablets in the labs.

No comments:

Post a Comment