Saturday 26 November 2011

Facial Topology

I thought wasting a day was bad, but ive wasted a week of precious 3ds max time, ironic just after watching 'In Time'

I thought it’d be best to get my act together and start work on the mortal engines self-portrait because there’s a hell of a lot to do in such a short amount of time. So over the past week ive put a lot of effort starting with  my head, modelling wasn’t to difficult but I put a lot of time into creating nice and clean geometry and I really wanted it to look like me.
 My efforts ending with this

It wasn’t ultil this Tuesday after alomost a whole days work at the labs when at 4 o’clock I found out that everything I had been doing was basically, wrong…

I was blissfully unaware of the rules in creating portraits.

Turns out every polygon has to have meaning and structure, geometry has to flow and circle around the head perfectly so it can be successfully rigged and animated.

From where I had got to the area around the eyes was solid, but from there down, everything had to go (except the nose, that can stay)

Rich suggested a good site from a previous student to aid in my second attempt at this project. I had to keep referring back to the pictures to see which line starts and finishes where, how many circles are needed in and out of the mouth etc, but eventually got a solid model which I hope is satisfactory (definitely need to check this with Heather !)


This has totally put me of character modelling for my final major project, and I haven’t even started to make the rest of the body yet, or rig it !

Looks like im gonna be spending a lot of my days at labs.

No comments:

Post a Comment